Tags

, , , ,

Cristina Georgescu, considered one Romania’s beauties of that time, dressed in a peasant costume, stands by a bust statue of King Carol II, exibited at the Romanian Pavilion from the 1940 World’s Fair in New York. She directed the preparations for the second opening (1940) to the public of the alabaster-lined structure, which had a particularly popular attraction in the foreign exhibit area of the exhibition last season (1939). With Romania occupying the headlines, along with other war-threatened European nations, her exhibit at the Fair, opened on 11 May, was of timely interest.

The building was constructed by architects Prince George Cantacuzino, Octav Doicescu & Aurel Doicescu.

The Romanian House

The Romanian House – Courtesy of the NY World’s Fair Historical Society