I would like to wish HM King Michael of Romania a happy 95 th birthday!
My new book entitled ‘Exilul Regelui’ (The King’s Exile), was published a short while ago by Curtea Veche Publishing. It is presented as a softcover (with flaps) volume containing 386 pages, including 16 pages of photos. The book details King Michael’s exile period, together with that the Romanian political emigration connected with the monarch, permanently spied on by Romania’s communist regime’s secret services. It gathers in one place previously unpublished documents from the archives of the former communist secret services, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, etc.
1. Monarchy and exile (Sovereigns and rights; The fears instilled to the communists by the Juan Carlos model; Historical experiences: matrimonial alliances and dynasties, losing the throne; The Commencing of the exile, and the repudiation of abdication);
2. The King and his family (Royal marriage; the New family; the King’s mother; Uncle Pavlos; aunt Irene; The King in England; Celebrations; The Princesses in exile; Imago mundi, etc);
3. The Sovereign, the 10th May [former national day] and the government in exile (Rivalry; Radescu and the King; the new Romanian National Committee and Visoianu; Kersten Committee; The Exile between survival and surveillance; Crossroads)
4. Files, agents and codes (The King’s File; Complementary files; Nicolette Franck)
5. «Liberté pour la Roumanie!» (Switzerland, the heart of exile; Revolution and post-communism)
Documents (most from the communist secret services files and the diplomatic archives of Romania, USA; also extracts from the international press of the time relevant to the subject; transcripts from the Voice of America, Free Europe, BBC; transcriptions of King Michael’s interviews)
Your are kindly invited to the book launch of my latest work: “Exilul Regelui” – The King’s Exile. Speakers: Indrei Ratiu, Andrei Muraru, Diana Mandache
Saturday 4 June, 5 pm at Bookfest – Curtea Veche Publishing, Pavilion C2 (Romexpo), Bucharest